The Grand Palace and royal temple of Wat Phra Kaew with the emerald Buddha can be visited almost every day. However some areas may be off limits when ceremonies are being held.The opening days are separated as follows:
- Temple -> the temple grounds of Wat Phra Kaew.
- Palace -> the area with the Grand Palace buildings.
- Chapel -> the chapel with the emerald Buddha.
Under normal conditions one can expect to be able to visit the temple grounds of Wat Phra Kaew, this is also the most impressive part of the complex. The area with Grand Palace and the chapel with the emerald Buddha may be off limits for special occasions or ceremonies. Opening time for tourists is from 8:30 to 15:30, to have sufficient time its better to be in before 15:00.
Below the official calendar for 2018 from the Bureau of the Royal Household, schedule may change without notice. Additional closing days are listed below the calendar.
Additional ceremonies may be held and can take place on short notice:
- 28 Jan, 14:00, chapel closed
- 12 Jun, chapel closed all day, in afternoon completely closed (updated 12 Jun , last minute notice)
- 28 Jun, 14:00, chapel closed (updated 27 Jun)
- 20 Jul, chapel closed all day, in afternoon completely closed (updated 20 Jul, last minute notice)
- 26 Jul, all day, chapel closed (updated 12 Jul)
- 27 Jul, all day, chapel and Palace closed (updated 25 Jul)
- 28 Jul, all day, completely closed (updated 28 Jul, last minute notice)
- 12 Aug, all day, chapel and Palace closed (updated 9 Aug) / update 11 Aug: it could be that temple closed tomorrow as well.
- 28 Sep, 14:00, chapel closed (updated 26 Sep)
- 17 Oct, 12:00, Palace closed (updated 9 Oct)
- 29 Oct, 12:00, Palace closed (updated 26 Oct)
- 28 Nov, 14:00, chapel closed (updated 21 Nov)
- 9 Dec, all day, Palace closed due to bicycle event, most likely completely closed as roads will be blocked (updated 3 Dec)
- 28 Dec, 14:00, chapel closed (updated 27 Dec)
- 1 Jan 2019, same as 1 Jan 2018 on calendar above (updated 27 Dec)
For further background information and our tours visiting the Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaew in Bangkok, please visit: Attraction Information – Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaew (Emerald Buddha).