In 1630 King Prasat Thong had the temple built on his own land to commemorate his victory over the Khmer Empire (Cambodia). The temple’s architectural style was influenced by the Angkor temple complex in Cambodia. The 35 meter high central prang (Khmer style pagoda) is surrounded by several smaller ones.
This temple, which also served as a memorial for the king’s mother, was deserted for some time after it was destroyed during the Burmese war. The Fine Arts Department started restoration work on this site in 1987 and it was opened to the public in 1992.
Wat Chai Wattanaram is very popular among both professional and amateur photographers. It is one of the most photogenic temple ruins in Ayutthaya.